A Heart After Yahweh
Last week we looked at a Hardened Heart. Today we will examine the softened heart, the heart that is in line with the heart of Yahweh.
A Heart After Self
1 Kings 11:4 – “For when Solomon was old, his wives turned his heart away after other gods; and his heart was not wholly devoted to Yahweh his God, as the heart of David his father had been.”
1 Kings 14:8 – “You have not been like my servant David, who kept my commandments and who followed me with all his heart, to do only that which was right in my sight.”
1 Kings 15:3 – “He walked in all the sins of his father and his heart was not wholly devoted to Yahweh.”
Solomon, along with many of the kings of northern Israel, embodies the person whose heart is not after the heart of Yahweh. He does not follow Yahweh’s commandments, he does not do that which is right. He worships other gods, he makes graven images. In short, the man with a heart after self does that which is evil in the sight of Yahweh.
A Heart After Yahweh
1 Kings 3:6 – “Then Solomon said, ‘You have shown great loving kindness to Your servant David my father.”
1 Kings 9:4 – “As for you, if you will walk before Me as your father David walked . . .”
Acts 13:22 – “I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after my heart, who will do all my will.”
King David is the one human being who is consistently praised for being a man whose heart is a heart after Yahweh. Many ask, “How can this be? Was he not an adulterer and a murderer?” Yes, he was both. But he was also a man of repentance. David always did this, every time he sinned. And that heart which he was willing to humble and seek Yahweh’s forgiveness, is part of what gives David the title: A Man After Yahweh’s Own Heart. Let’s look at the heart that is a heart after Yahweh.
Patterns Of A Heart After Yahweh
1 Kings 3:6 – “walk before me in truth and righteousness and uprightness of heart. . . .” (paraphrased)
1 Kings 9:4 – “walk before me in integrity and uprightness, keeping my statutes and ordinances . . .” (paraphrased)
Jeremiah 3:15 – “shepherds will feed you with knowledge and understanding . . .” (paraphrased)
Having a heart after the heart of Yahweh is not so difficult to engender. And how interesting that in the same passages that tell us of David, we are told part of what that heart looks like – it is a heart that walks uprightly and feeds on knowledge and understanding. The heart after Yahweh shows the following attributes listed below:
First, and foremost, it must be a heart that walks in truth, uprightness, and righteousness: (1 Kings 3:6, 9:4; Jeremiah 3:15)
• It must be a heart that walks in integrity.
• It must be heart that keeps Yahweh’s commands, statutes, and ordinances.
• It must be a heart that yearns for knowledge and understanding.
It must also be a heart that gives praise to Yahweh: (Psalms 9:1, 108:1, 138:1; 1 Chronicles 29:9)
• It is a heart that will give thanks to Yahweh.
• It is a heart that will tell of all Yahweh’s wonders.
• It is a heart that will sing, that will sing praises.
• It is a heart that will sing praises to Yahweh before the gods.
• It is a heart that will rejoice greatly.
It is a humble heart: (Psalm 131:1)
• It is a heart that is not proud, nor haughty.
• It is a heart that does not involve itself in great matters.
• It is a heart that does not involve itself in things too difficult.
It is a whole heart: (Psalms 9:1, 131:1; 1 Chronicles 12:33; Acts 13:22)
• It is a heart that gives thanks wholeheartedly.
• It is a heart that gives undivided attention.
• It is a heart that follows Yahweh completely.
It must be a heart that fears Yahweh: (Psalms 14:1, 36:1, 53:1; Isaiah 7:2)
• It is a fool who says Yahweh is not.
• It is a fool who has no fear of Yahweh.
• It is a fool who is corrupt.
• It is a fool who is commits abominable injustice.
• It is a heart that shakes as the trees of the forest shake with the wind.
Furthermore, it must be a heart that seeks restoration: (2 Samuel 12:13, 24:10, 24:17; 1 Chronicles 21:8, 21:17)
• It is a repentant heart
• It is a heart willing to admit to sins committed
• It is heart willing to seek forgiveness.
The heart after Yahweh is a humble, contrite, upright, praise giving, commandment following heart, that loves Yahweh and his ways. It is a heart that admits its sins and seeks forgiveness. It is a heart that Yahweh desires to find in all of his children.
Prophecy continues to unfold as foretold by the Hebrew Prophets. The day is coming when Yahweh will show his strength on the mountains of Israel. What is prophesied will come to pass, what is foretold will be made known. Time is short – Yeshua Ha’Mashiach is coming soon – get busy reaching the lost.