Year End Update 2014
Luke 21:11 – “And there will be great earthquakes, and in various places plagues and famines; and there will be terrors and great signs from heaven.”
Prophecy Sign: Earthquakes and Earthquake Swarms
Mark 13:8 – “There will be earthquakes in various places; there will also be famines . . .”
Luke 21:11 – “And there will be great earthquakes . . .”
The question of whether earthquakes are increasing is a common question about the timing of end times prophecies. Scripture states that earthquakes will appear in various (or diverse) places – Mark 13:8. Luke 21:11 adds that those earthquakes will be “great”. It is only when one ties this scripture in with the indicator that they will be like the beginning of birth pains that some believe that earthquake frequency and intensity will increase, as do birth pains during pregnancy, especially in the third trimester.
According to USGS statistics, , the normal yearly average for earthquakes is 134 per year for those between 6.0 and 6.9 on the Richter scale, 15 per year for those between 7.0 and 7.9, and 1 for those greater than 8.0, for a total of 150 great quakes each year.
This year, 2014, has been another remarkably quiet year for “great” earthquakes, but total earthquakes are way up bringing in a total of 117263 earthquakes this year.
1. Quakes in the 8.0 and above range (1) were only the average (1).
2. Quakes in the 7.0 to 7.9 range (11) were below average (15).
3. Quakes in the 6.0 to 6.9 (144) range were only slightly above average (134).
4. The number of large earthquakes (156) this year was again only slightly above last years total (141) ), and just 5 above the expected yearly average (150).
5. The total number of earthquakes (117263) is once again 23826 greater than the 2013 total (93436), and 6 times greater than the total number in 2012 (18328).
6. The total number of earthquakes (117263) is 3.7 times greater than any in any of the past ten years (31777).
7. The Oregon/Nevada border has been seeing an increase in M3 and M4 earthquake swarms this past year, and especially in October and November. The California town of Brawley also saw over 400 earthquakes just in November.
2013 has been another remarkably quiet year for great earthquakes, except in the 8.0 and above range.1. Quakes in the 8.0 and above range (2) were again double the average (1).
2. Quakes in the 7.0 to 7.9 range (17) were slightly above average (15).
3. Quakes in the 6.0 to 6.9 (122) range were slightly below average (134).
4. The number of large earthquakes (141) this year was slightly above last years total (127).
5. The total number of earthquakes (93436) is 5 times greater than last year (18328).
6. The total number of earthquakes (93436) is 2.9 times greater than any in any of the past ten years (31777).
7. Deaths attributed to earthquakes this year (1507) were double to last year (768).
2012 has been a remarkably quiet year for great earthquakes, except in the 8.0 and above range.
1. Quakes in the 8.0 and above range were double the average.
2. Quakes in the 6.0 to 7.9 range were well below average.
3. Quakes in the 6.0 to 7.9 range were well below average.
4. The number of large earthquakes (127) this year was much fewer than last year (204).
5. Deaths attributed to earthquakes this year were also significantly lower than previous years.
6. Earthquake swarms of minor magnitude, however, appear to be increasing worldwide:
• Chile, Finland, Greece, Taiwan, and California were prime locations for swarms
7. Certain areas have seen marked increases in total earthquakes:
• Japan saw 3,134 quakes in 2012, which is about 1,000 more than the annual average in recent years.
• Costa Rica, saw 6,245 earthquakes in 2010, 5,483 in 2011 and 11,049 in 2012
2011 was in many respects an average year for earthquakes:
1. The total number of great earthquakes this year is above average, especially in the 6.0 to 7.9 range, with 50 above average in the 6.0 to 6.9 range, and 4 above average in the 7.0 to 7.9 range.
2. Earthquakes continued to be in various places.
3. The number of “great” earthquakes greater than 8.0 remained at the normal of 1
4. The total number of earthquakes this year was fewer than last year.
5. The greater earthquakes appear to be increasing each year.
2010 was the year the Earth struck back. Earthquakes, heat waves, floods, volcanoes, super typhoons, blizzards, landslides and droughts killed at least a quarter million people in 2010 – the deadliest year in more than a generation:
1. The total number of earthquakes in 2010 was a tad below average.
2. The number of earthquakes above 7.0 are above normal.
3. The number of “great” earthquakes may, repeat may, be increasing, but the totals for this year do not prove conclusively that this is so.
4. The total number of earthquakes this year may not be the best indicator of the season on God’s calendar!
Prophecy Sign: Signs In The Heavens
Luke 21:25 – “And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring.”
2014 has seen over seventy five comets grace the skies, although most of them were invisible to the naked eye. 2014 was also a busy year for asteroids and meteoroids with over thirty approaches.
Prophecy Sign: Flooding
Luke 21:25 – “And upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring . . .”
Flooding throughout the globe is the final category we will explore. Major flooding has occurred in Missouri, Louisiana, Iowa, Florida, Nevada, Arizona, and several other states in the US. Overseas floods impacted India, Pakistan, Haiti, Honduras, Brazil, Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala the Dominican Republic, and Panama, just to mention the most severe.
Prophecy Sign: Famines / Pestilences
Luke 21:11 – “There will also be famines and pestilences . . .”
Famine continues to plague Ethiopia, South Sudan, and other parts of Africa. Parts of Syria have experienced famine due to the civil war, and North Korea continues to suffer due to the effects of a fractured economic infrastructure and inadequate food production. South Africa has also been hit with the pestilence of Ebola. AIDS and other STDs continue to hit many places in the world, with over 110 million cases in the United States alone. Drug resistant forms of older diseases are cropping up worldwide. Marburg, Enterovirus, and Chikungunya are new diseases on the radar in 2014.
Prophecy Sign: Waters Turned Blood Red
Revelation 16:3-4 – “The second angel poured out his bowl on the sea, and it turned into blood like that of a dead man, and every living thing in the sea died. Then the third angel poured out his bowl into the rivers and the springs of waters; and they became blood.”
In November the waters of the beaches of Sydney, Australia turned blood red overnight. In July both Canada and China had rivers whose water turned blood red, sometimes in just an hours time.
Prophecy Sign: Strange Noises
Romans 8:22 – “We know that all creation is still groaning and is in pain, like a woman about to give birth.”
Strange noises continue to hit various regions, including Atlanta, Georgia and Alberta, Canada. March was a big month this year, as well as November. August found the Navy tracking some strange sounds coming from the ocean.
As of November 21, 2014 there have been 996 confirmed tornadoes in the United States, of which 331 hit just in the month of July. Europe has seen 57 tornadoes this year, Australia 7, Asia and South America 2 each. An EF5 tornado hit Moore, Oklahoma on May 20th, the largest magnitude ever recorded. 110 fatalities have been confirmed worldwide in 2013 – 52 in the United States, 31 in Bangladesh, 24 in China, and 3 in Turkey, according to Wikipedia.
Volcanic activity this year has increased once again this year, with over 858 eruptions in 2014. Mount Sinabung in Indonesia has erupted several times, one time resulting in the loss of 15 lives in February. It is one of over 100 active volcanoes in Indonesia and has again been sporadically erupting since September. Mount Ontake, Japan erupted on September 27th without warning, killing at least 61 people. This is the deadliest eruption in Japan since 1902 and is has first volcano related deaths since 1991. The Kīlauea volcano in Hawaii continued to erupt between June and October, sending lava to many areas and impacting the town of Ka’ohe.
Sinkholes have continued to appear in Florida, with two holes appearing July and November. A sinkhole opened up in May in a residential neighborhood in northeast Baltimore, taking out an entire block of road and automobiles. Detroit, Michigan, Chicago, Illinois, and Portland, Oregon have also experienced sinkholes this year. Russia experienced a massive sinkhole in Tyumen, Siberia, a city about 1,600 miles east of Moscow. Another sinkhole was found near the Uralkali Solikamsk-2 potash mine. A giant 115 foot wide sinkhole opened up on farmland in County Durham in England. The construction the tallest building in Seoul, south Korea has hit a snag following the appearance of a number of sinkholes in and around the area where it is being built.
Mark 13:8 – “. . . . These things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.”
The question of whether the heavenly and earthly signs are increasing as do birth pains during pregnancy, especially in the third trimester, is a valid question for the days in which we live. Are these signs increasing and are they indeed the beginning of birth pangs? Hold your horses, not yet!
Matthew 24:6-8 states that:
• Israel will hear of wars and rumors of wars. Many times the Palestinians, Syria, and Iran have been rumored to be minutes away from starting a war with Israel?
• Ethnic tribes will be rising up against other ethnic tribes. The Arabs, the Palestinians, and many others are against the Israelis. The Saudis are against the Hashemites. Etc.
• Religious factions will rise up against other religious factions. The Sunnis rise up against the Shiites. The Shiites rise up against the Wahhabites.
• Nations will rise up against other nations. Saudi Arabia against Syria. Syria, Iraq, Iran, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, and just about every other nation in the world are beginning or have already risen up against Israel.
• There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. This year has seen both in various places throughout the world.
Matthew and Mark both warn, however: “See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end.” Before the world is verifiably experiencing what Yeshua terms birth pangs, false prophets will arise who will mislead many, lawlessness must increase, and the gospel will be preached to all the nations. Only after these things, will the third trimester pangs begin and the end come.
Prophecy continues to unfold as foretold by the Hebrew prophets. The stage is being set. History is moving extremely quickly towards the prophesied one world government, the one world financial system, and the rise of both the Antichrist and the False Prophet. The birth pangs are just over the horizon. Yeshua Ha’Mashiach is coming soon – get busy reaching the lost.