The End Time Nations
Genesis 10:1-3, 6-7 – This is the family history of Shem, Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah. After the flood these three men had sons. The sons of Japheth were Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras. The sons of Gomer were Ashkenaz, Riphath, and Togarmah. The descendants of Ham: Cush, Egypt, Put, and Canaan. The descendants of Cush: Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Raamah, and Sabteca. The descendants of Raamah: Sheba and Dedan.
Genesis chapter 10 gives us the family history of two of Noah’s sons and where they first settled. This becomes important when deciphering the major end times players of both Ezekiel and Daniel, and determining their modern relationship to Israel. These sons are the end times peoples who become Israel’s enemies. The third son, Shem, is the father of the Hebrews, and thus is not an enemy of Israel.
The prophecies of Ezekiel and Daniel tell us that war is coming against Israel and what nations and people groups will be involved. What is most interesting about this is that the prediction of Ezekiel, made over 2600 years ago, lines up very closely with the current alignment of nations that we see emerging today: the Islamic nations which are forming coalitions to “wipe Israel off the face of the earth”, and the western nations which tend to be supportive of Israel.
• According to Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Old Testament, Josephus’ Antiquities of the Jews, and others, the sons of Gomer, including Togarmah, are said by the Greeks to have peopled Galatia, therefore the Galatians were called Gomerites. The Galatians lived in the territory that comprises modern day Turkey.
• The sons of Ashkenaz, or as the Israelis would say, the Ashkenazim, describes Jews from Germany, Austria, and Poland.
• The sons of Magog, Tubal, and Meshech, originally called Scythians or Tartars, traveled to the farthest northern parts, that today would be called Russia, along with most of the former “stans” of the Soviet Union.
• The sons of Cush, often translated Ethiopia, settled in Arabia, Mesopotamia, and Assyria. They also peopled the Arabic area near the Red Sea in Lower Egypt, and from there parts of Africa according to Adam Clarke’s Commentary on the Old Testament. The African settlements would have included modern day Ethiopia, Somalia, and Sudan, and may have included Eritrea as well.
• The sons of Put (Phut), settled in ancient Libya, an area that includes modern Algeria and Tunisia. Josephus in his Antiquities of the Jews Book 1:6/2 writes: “Phut also was the founder of Libya, and called the inhabitants Phutites (Phoutes), from himself: there is also a river in the country of Moors which bears that name; whence it is that we may see the greatest part of the Grecian historiographers mention that river and the adjoining country by the appellation of Phut (Phoute): but the name it has now has been by change given it from one of the sons of Mezraim, who was called Lybyos.”.
The Main End Time Players of Ezekiel and Daniel:
• Gog = Prince of Magog, or Ruler, or the man on top, or perhaps a demonic spirit (Ezekiel 38:1-14)
• Magog = Scythians, of Indo-Aryan heritage. Emigrated from north of Israel going all the way to the Asiatic Circle according to Josephus. Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Afghanistan. All former republics of Soviet Union.
• Rosh = Russia, the people living north of the Black Sea
• Meshech and Tubal = most likely the former Soviet republics, or part of the present nation of Turkey.
• Tyre = modern Lebanon
• Persia = Iran, always Persia until 1935 when it changed its name to Iran. Includes the areas now called Afghanistan and Pakistan.
• Ethiopia or Cush = Sudan, Ethiopia, possibly Eritrea One of Noah’s sons: the descendants of Cush settled in Arabia, Mesopotamia, and Assyria, also in Africa in Ethiopia, Somalia, and Sudan, one of the major countries unfriendly to the west. (Harbored Osama Bin Laden, supported Iran in the Gulf war).
• Libya or Put = another grandson of Noah. Libya, has formed an alliance with Russia. Foreshadow of Ezekiel 38 as Libya positions itself in Russia’s corner. May include Algeria and Tunisia.
• Gomer = one of Japheth’s sons; the Ashkenaz. Germany or Turkey. Turkey has military hordes on the borders of Iran, and has also formed an allegiance with Russia, and recently Syria, Iran, and Lebanon.
• Togarmath = Phrygia, a western kingdom in Asia Minor which was part of the geographical area we currently call modern Turkey. May also include Azerbaijan, Armenia.
All the above nations are Islamic nations, except Russia.
In geographic relation to Israel, the following observations can be made:
• The Border States = Syria, Lebanon, northern Jordan.
• Sheba and Dedan = Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Kuwait, and United Arab Emirates.
• Tarshish = Spain or England (the Western economic nations) The symbol of England is the Lion: its cubs include the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and African colonies.
Spheres of Power: Or, the most dominant power in a geographic region in relation to Israel.
The Biblical prophets predicted that in the end days, there would be four main superpowers (or spheres of power) in four geographic regions in relation to Israel. They are the King of the North and the King of the South – Daniel 11, the Kings of the East – Revelation 16, the King of the West – Jeremiah 25 & Revelation 13. The prophets further predicted that there would be alliances formed between some of these kings.
• King of the North: Russia, Turkey, or Syria (may include Lebanon, Hezbollah, Hamas)
• King of the South: This king is most likely the nations that side with Egypt, Israel’s ancient enemy which was called the “King of the South”, and may include the 57 Islamic nations that make up The Organization of the Islamic Conference, but could also include Indonesia.
• Kings of the East: China, Japan and India (may include North Korea depending upon final alliances)
• King of the West: called The Beast or The Revived Roman Empire – this king will most likely come out of what today is called The European Union and may include parts of the old Ottoman Empire. Once the Beast is in control, all nations of the world will be under its authority.
Pay attention to the time frame. Individual prophecies can have multiple fulfillments. As the power of these “Kings” begins to coalesce, one must ask the question: “How close are we to the return of Christ?”
The Organization of the Islamic Conference = The OIC includes the 57 nations that declared in late 2009 that Israel must negotiate with them or face all out war within 18 months, according to Jordan’s King Abdullah II. Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said Islamic countries belong to one nation and resistance is a legitimate right. This group of nations occupies the territory called the 10/40 Window, and Mecca is in the center of this window!
Roman Empire = Rome’s iron hand, iron grip, iron rule, iron fist, iron heel, iron legions. Revived Roman Empire started with the Benelux Conference of 1948. Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg (These are the original three nations of the Roman Empire). The EU wants 10 ruling parties, and has already divided the world into ten sections. Turkey is no longer aligning itself with the EU, and is calling for the reestablishment of the Ottoman Empire.